Sunday, June 27, 2010

The NC Dish...

North Carolina was an adventure from the start.

My flight was delayed for a few hours and I spent a lovely amount of time in the Birmingham airport. Not a big deal honestly, I just read, slept on the ground and texted back and forth with my soon to be Big-Mama-director Kathy Jo.

When I did arrive in North Carolina it was close to 11:30 and we still had an hour or so to drive to Kathy Jo and Andy's place. Once I got there we sat and talked for a little while and then I went and happily slept for 9 hrs.

In the morning I headed to church with Kathy Jo and Andy and took a moment to get up and talk to the congregation about what I'm doing as a Peace Intern. I mentioned that I was traveling the country leading workshops on Peace and Social Justice issues, working with high school students at different CYF camps.

And then... I had my first question about my allegiance or non-allegiance to the communist party as a result of these word choices.

Although the encounter was somewhat comical - it was a good reminder of the importance of defining what it is I'm doing. And a great exercise in patience. I am happy to report I emerged unscathed by the confrontation and I think that my new friend is both relieved I'm not a communist and aware that the words "social" and "justice" in the same sentence are not bad words for us to use in church.

Once I reached camp it was a whirlwind of activities, small groups, cabin time and games. Camp Caroline was very accommodating indeed.

My favorite experience as an Intern in Carolina is difficult to put a finger on. I had a very controversial interest group on global poverty and the wealth disparities we see around the world... and I got hit from all angles with opinions.

It was fantastic.

I thoroughly believe the following: if they are ticked off and want to say so, GREAT. Because if they're ticked off - they heard me - and if they are talking about their thoughts and feelings - we have a chance to be in conversation about the issue.

The other experience I cherished was a 40 minute keynote to the whole camp on language. A keynote on the words we use and the power they have. It was a hard hitting message and I wasn't shy about the delivery. I could not have been more proud of the campers. They were incredibly receptive and there were multiple follow-up conversations that I will hold in my heart for the rest of the summer.

The one thing that breaks my heart about Camp Caroline is this: I missed the Dolphins.

I missed sailing and in the process I missed a school of Dolphins.

If I had been out at free-time sailing instead of working on my keynote, I would have been feet away from wild dolphins.

Tragic.

I guess to hit a homer on the language presentation I had to miss flipper and the fam.

1 comment:

  1. Alexis,
    Thanks for your thoughts and pics on your week at Camp Caroline. So glad you were our Peace Intern this year. Hope the rest of your summer goes well!

    Peace,
    John Richardson

    ReplyDelete